Managing Social Media

 In Uncategorised

I thought I was the only social media “junkie” out there with multiple social media accounts (and by multiple I mean: 4 Twitter accounts, 5 blogs, facebook, flickr etc…) but it turns out I am not. While chatting with a client, he mentioned he found it frustrating managing all his social media accounts (after I highly recommended its use for exposure of content, visibility and search engine ranking!). The light went off in my head when he mentioned he hated logging in and out of one account and into the other. I realized that I’d done a poor job setting him up to prevent these headaches.

Not surprisingly, with the birth of social media came a heap of tools to help manage, organize, dissect and analyze more than you can imagine. One tool in my arsenal that’s been extremely helpful has been Tweetdeck – essentially, a single logon tool to manage multiple Twitter accounts and your Facebook account.

90% of the social media work I do (whether business or pleasure) is done on Twitter and Facebook so for me, this application was ideal. When it comes to the remaining 10%, I simply login directly to the site in question and work directly on that platform. There are other apps/tools like Seesmic, Hootsuite or Twhirl that can be installed directly on your desktop or on your mobile device and offer different ways to manage your social media accounts, depending on what you use most and how often you publish content.

For the sake of this post, I’ll stick to Tweetdeck to show how easy it is to plug in all your Twitter and Facebook accounts and easily view, reply and post from your desired account, without having to login and out!

Since I’m out and about quite a bit, I installed Tweetdeck on my iPhone, however a desktop version is also available. As soon as you install the app/software you can see in the settings section how to add accounts for Twitter/Facebook and multiple accounts for Twitter.

This will be the hardest part of the process! Once all the accounts are plugged it, it’s just a matter of scrolling through the “columns” of content. The best part is that when you reply to a tweet or update a Facebook status, it does it from the account in question. So if I’m looking at my @OmisCanada Twitter stream and reply, it sends from my @OmisCanada stream.

I should rephrase the word “junkie” as sometimes, a properly set up social media platform calls for various instances of social media accounts. For the socialites, yes, 1 Twitter account will do the trick, however, from a business stand-point, separating your work-related tweets with your personal tweets is a must in order to keep things organized and “presentable.” Another benefit of separating accounts is for relevance and to increase exposure. Quite often, those who tweet for business-related reason, look to fill their list of followers (and follow) people who are within the industry. This could be to receive industry-related information, expose themselves to a more targeted audience and/or to clutter out the non-essential or irrelevant tweets. For example, it doesn’t do any good to my OMIS clients to see my tweets about my latest race or training session via my triathlon “pseudo-self” account at @Carlos_el_Toro and my tria-peops couldn’t really care about a blog post on how to manage social media accounts!!

Quite often people will screen the latest tweets and see if what people are talking about are along the lines of what they would like to have “fall” in their stream of content.

Contact Us

You're a few clicks away from getting help! Let us know how to help.

Start typing and press Enter to search